If you’re fascinated by the world of interior design and would love to learn more about it, then you’re in luck! There are many different interior design courses available that will teach you everything from the basics to more advanced concepts.
So whether you’re a complete beginner or have some experience in this area, there’s sure to be a course that’s perfect for you. Keep reading to learn more about nine different interior design courses.
Each of the courses we’ve shortlisted is based on the following factors:
- Who can take this course? Beginners, Intermediate, and Advanced Level
- Details of the course
- Course duration
- What the students have to say about the course
- Numbers of students who enrolled in this course
- How to Work with Interior Design Styles Like a Pro – Udemy – All Levels
- The Complete Sketchup & Vray Course for Interior Design – Udemy – All Levels
- How to Design a Room in 10 Easy Steps – Udemy – Beginner Level
- Interior Design: How to Choose Colors for Any Space – Udemy – All Levels
- Interior Design as a Business – Udemy – All Levels
- Revit Essentials: Design Development Techniques for Interiors – PluralSight – Intermediate Level
- Revit and Dynamo for Interior Design – LinkedIn – Intermediate Level
- Diploma in Interior Design – Alison – All Levels
- SketchUp Pro: Interior Design Detailing – LinkedIn – Intermediate Level
Note that these courses have not been listed in any particular order. However, we do have our top two picks: Numbers 4 and 9. These courses are affordable and offer the best learning experience.
1. How to Work with Interior Design Styles Like a Pro – Udemy – All Levels
This comprehensive course has been designed for all levels who want to learn everything there is to know about interior design styles. The course certainly has a lot to offer. Some of the key learning areas include:
- Understand 18 of the main interior design styles used in today’s homes
- Select appropriate color schemes used for each of the main styles
- Select appropriate window coverings and flooring used for each of the main styles
The course is currently available for USD 13.99 which is relatively cheap but considering the learning insights it has to offer, it is certainly a great one. For this price, you will get access to 5.5 hours of on-demand video, and 38 lectures. We went through the course material and it is packed with useful information which will help you in becoming a proficient interior designer.
Overall, you will be able to complete this amazing course within 5 hours and 28 minutes. This course is also a bestseller, which clearly shows how popular it is on Udemy.
Students really like this course based on the reviews. It has a high rating of 4.4 out of 5.0. We went over the reviews and saw that students were raving about it with comments such as:
“This course has been super helpful in teaching me the guidelines of the various interior design styles so that I can pinpoint the ones that speak to me most”.
Just like several of the 42,859 students recommend the course, we do too.
Based on the course price and reviews, we would give the course a rating of 9.0/9.0.
2. The Complete Sketchup & Vray Course for Interior Design – Udemy – All Levels
If you are looking for a course that covers all difficulty levels, this is perfect for you. The course is comprehensive and will enhance your Sketchup skill so that you are able to design amazing spaces.
This course comes with monthly updates so you will learn everything that is trending or the latest. The course has been divided into 6 detailed projects and will be taught by a professional, so everything you will learn will be based on experience. This project will teach you how to use the most recent versions of Vray and Sketchup.
The course is priced at USD 12.99 and will give you access to 15.5 hours of on-demand video, 4 articles, and 24 downloadable resources. If you opt for this course, it will take you 15 hours and 16 minutes to complete. For this price, the learning is amazing.
The course is rated at 4.4 out of 5.0 which is pretty high. Not just this, but the course is also a Udemy bestseller so you can tell how popular it is. This is further proven by the 16,918 learners who have already benefited from it.
Students love the course and there are many positive reviews on Udemy to prove that. Here’s one review that caught our eye: “Teaching skills are excellent, I just loved the course”.
Overall, considering its reviews, we would give it a rating of 9.0/9.0.
3. How to Design a Room in 10 Easy Steps – Udemy – Beginner Level
This bestseller course is perfect for all levels and will systematically take you through the steps of designing a room.
Some aspects covered in this course include:
- Measuring a room to maximize the use of space
- Shop for furniture online efficiently
- Create a cohesive color scheme
This course truly captures the essence of interior designing and helps you in a practical aspect. By the end of this introductory course, you will be able to totally design a space from start to finish utilizing a simple 10-step approach.
The total course duration is 1 hour and 52 minutes with a total of 2 hours of on-demand video, 8 articles, and 10 downloadable resources that you can avail yourself of at the amazing price of USD 13.99.
The course has a pretty great rating of 4.6 out of 5.0, indicating how well-liked it is. We feel like this review describes the course perfectly: “Love this teacher! So relatable and informative. Keeps me interested by not spending too long on the boring stuff and keeps it fun!.”
The total number of students enrolled in the course is 27,288 which is pretty high.
Based on reviews and the fact that it is affordable, we would give it a rating of 9.0/9.0.
4. Interior Design: How to Choose Colors for Any Space – Udemy – All Levels
Next up is another all-level course which will cover the essentials of how to choose the appropriate color for a space. Here is what you will learn:
- Fundamentals of Colors and Neutrals and How They Work
- How to Work Around Fixed and Movable Elements in Your Home, the Starting Point To Choosing the Correct Color for any Space
- Extra Do’s and Don’ts For Different Areas in Your Home
Overall, the course duration is 2 hours and 7 minutes with 2 hours of on-demand videos and 31 lectures which you can access at the price of USD 13.99. The price of this course is perfect considering the amount of learning it offers.
We went over the course reviews and ratings and saw that they loved it with comments like “Great course! Very detailed, yet easy to follow and understand.” It also has a pretty high rating of 4.7 out of 5.0.
Overall, it has 6,074 students enrolled which show how popular this course is.
We would give the course a rating of 9.0/9.0.
5. Interior Design as a Business – Udemy – All Levels
Next up is another all-level course by Udemy. This holistic course is a bestseller and has covered a lot on the topic of interior design.
This is what you will learn from the course:
- The business of design, branding & messaging, target market & entry methods, vendor and supplier relations, contracts, and more
- Key concepts to having a successful interior design entrepreneurship
- Opportunity to get one-on-one sessions with the instructor to help with all their interior design and business-related questions
This is a short course, packed with learning. It will take you 1 hour and 34 minutes to complete and comes with 1.5 hours of on-demand videos, and 8 lectures. For the price of USD 13.99, you will get unlimited access to this amazing course.
Here is what the students had to say about it: “This course was short but very impactful. The presentation and information were excellent. Would definitely take additional courses offered by this instructor.”
Overall the course is fairly rated at 4.3 out of 5.0 stars and has 200 students enrolled in it. Even though the number of people enrolled is low, we believe the course has great potential.
We would give this course a rating of 8.5/9.0.
6. Revit Essentials: Design Development Techniques for Interiors – PluralSight – Intermediate Level
Next up is a PluralSight course ideal for the intermediate level. This course is great if you have prior knowledge about Revit.
The course covers quite a few things including the following:
- How you can use Revit to develop interior designs
- How to apply various floor finishes from your material library
- Learn about working with schedules to leverage the data available to you
In this course, you’ll learn how to utilize Revit to create interior designs by changing a generic model with a low level of detail to fulfill the design purposes.
The course content is perfectly divided and will take you 5 hours and 25 minutes to complete.
You will get access to the extensive library by paying USD 19 per month. This is not a bad price considering you will get access to several other PluralSight courses.
We were unable to find student reviews or enrolled students but the rating of 5.0 out of 5.0 clearly shows how popular this interior design course is.
We would give this course a rating of 8.0/9.0.
7. Revit and Dynamo for Interior Design – LinkedIn – Intermediate Level
Next up is a LinkedIn course that covers the essentials of Revit and Dynamo. Opting for this course will make you proficient in the workings of this software. Here is what will be covered:
- How to use different Revit features to streamline the design and documentation process in Revit
- Explore key Dynamo concepts, including how to place families and combine parameter information
- Discover how to model walls and floors, create a graphic finish legend, and synchronize modeled information with the room finish schedule
The total course duration is 4 hrs and 27 mins and is extremely comprehensive. It is currently available for USD 36.58 which is relatively expensive but great for learning.
Here is what the students have to say about it: “Very clear in the description but a little fast and I have to keep stopping the video to catch up with instructions.”. This indicates that you will have to slowly grasp the concepts.
Overall the course is pretty highly rated at 4.5 out of 5.0 stars.
The popularity of the course can be seen in the 31, 564 students already enrolled in it.
We would give the course a rating of 8.5/9.0.
8. Diploma in Interior Design – Alison – All Levels
Next up is a diploma in interior design which covers every level. This diploma is available for free and will give you a lot to learn. Some of the things covered in this course include:
- Overview of interior design as a discipline and career
- Project planning and client communication to help you ground your new understanding of design principles
- How to work with color and make the most of surface materials, textures, textiles, accessories, furniture, art, and more
The duration is 10-15 hours which is a good enough time to grasp the concepts from scratch. The course has gained a lot of popularity and has 101,177 students already enrolled in it.
It is also rated 5.0/5.0 stars making it extremely well-liked by students. We couldn’t find reviews for this course, however, based on the course content, we highly recommend it.
We would give this course a rating of 9.0/9.0.
9. SketchUp Pro: Interior Design Detailing – LinkedIn – Intermediate Level
Last up, we have another LinkedIn course that covers the design aspect of interior design by teaching you SketchUp Pro.
The course is very detailed and covers a lot of things including how to create an interior design in SketchUp Pro from a basic floor plan, build it up three-dimensionally, and populate the space.
The course will take you 3 hours and 35 minutes to complete and has 65,118 learners to its name showing how popular it is.
The popularity of the course can be seen in its 4.7 out of 5.0 rating as well as the student reviews such as: “The workflow on this course is absolutely brilliant.”
The course is priced at USD 40.51 and will give you lifetime access to 25 videos and even offline access. You can even get a 30-day money-back guarantee.
We highly recommend this course and our rating for it is 9.0/9.0.
Check out the Other Design Courses
- Graphics Designing Courses
- Architectural Design Courses
- UX Design Courses
- Web Design Courses
- Sculpting Courses
- Landscape Design Courses
- Visual Design Courses
- Surface Pattern Design Courses
Want to master interior design but don’t want to take up a 4 years long degree?
You have come to the right place.
Our list of top 9 interior design courses will give you an unparalleled learning experience. Our top picks are numbers 4 and 9 as they give you the essentials of interior design in a very detailed manner.
So what are you waiting for?
Initially, learning interior design can seem daunting but with the right instructors and courses, you will be able to get the hang of it easily. All you need is creativity which will help you master the art of interior designing.
There are several things that you can learn from interior design courses including:
- Basic designing
- Color theory
- Auto Cad
- Drawing techniques
- Visual communication
- Corporate strategy
- Residential plan
- 3D materials and their properties
- Model making at a commercial level
The interior design course typically lasts for four years. The first two years are spent completing general education requirements and taking introductory design courses. The last two years are spent completing the major requirements and working on a capstone project.
Most students also complete an internship during their studies. If you don’t have time to enroll in an undergraduate degree program, you can enroll in online courses. Some of the courses we have discussed in this blog can help you learn interior designing within a short time span of a month or a few weeks.