Udemy Review – Online Learning for Your Needs
In recent times online learning or e-learning has gained traction due to certain financial, economic, and even factors based on the onset of a pandemic. One such online learning portal that offers different eLearning options is Udemy.
Founded in 2010 by Eren Bali, Oktay Caglar, and Gagan Biyani, Udemy is a popular online learning platform that offers courses on various topics, from business and technology to health and fitness.
Owing to the change in world learning dynamics, Udemy has grown significantly in the last decade and has become one of the world’s most popular online learning platforms.
As the shift towards online learning has increased, Udemy has benefited from it. Over the years, Udemy has seen significant growth in its market share as well along with popularity. This is precisely why we at Internet of Learning are presenting a detailed Udemy review.
According to recent market stats, e-learning is expected to reach $238.4 billion by 2027, and Udemy is among the leading players in this market. In the last five years, Udemy has experienced exponential growth, with a 425% increase in its user base, a 550% increase in its annual recurring revenue, and a 930% increase in its course offerings.
Udemy Review– Course Offerings and Instructor Pool
We will start this Udemy review with the basics. Looking briefly at Udemy’s course offerings and instructor tools, Udemy has over 155,000 courses available on its platform, taught by over 70,000 instructors.
With over 50 million registered students, Udemy has become a go-to platform for people seeking to learn new skills or enhance their existing knowledge. Udemy’s specialty is providing learners with an affordable, accessible, and flexible learning method
Who is Udemy For?
Now that you know some of the basic statistics surrounding Udemy as an online platform for learning, let us look at the audience that it targets and is most suitable for.
Udemy is designed to cater to a diverse audience, including professionals, students, and anyone seeking to enhance their knowledge in various fields. This list, however, is not exhaustive because, given the width and depth of the course offerings on Udemy, we can find a course we would like to take.
Professionals can use Udemy to develop new skills or enhance their existing knowledge, while students can use it to supplement their learning outside of the traditional classroom. Entrepreneurs can also leverage Udemy to learn new skills and techniques to help grow their businesses.
In addition, Udemy is an excellent platform for individuals seeking to learn at their own pace and on their own schedule. The platform is accessible from anywhere, making it an excellent choice for those with busy schedules or limited access to traditional learning resources.
Supplement the flexibility offered by Udemy with these online learning tips and make the most of your e-learning experience.
This Udemy review caters to a broad audience and is an excellent resource for anyone seeking to learn new skills or enhance their existing knowledge in various fields.
Udemy Pricing Options
As a part of this Udemy review, we shall also cover pricing. Udemy offers a variety of pricing options for its courses, with prices ranging from free to several hundred dollars. The instructor determines the pricing of courses on Udemy, and the platform takes a percentage of the course fee.
Some courses on Udemy are entirely free, while others require payment. Paid courses on Udemy range in price from around $20 to $200 or more, depending on the subject matter, length, and depth of the course.
In addition to individual course pricing, Udemy also offers a subscription service called Udemy Pro, which provides users with access to over 7,000 courses for a monthly or annual fee. The monthly subscription is $29.99, while the annual subscription is $199.99. In addition, Udemy Pro offers additional features such as personalized learning recommendations, exclusive content, and enhanced support.
It’s worth noting that Udemy frequently offers discounts and promotions on its courses, which can significantly reduce the cost of courses for users. These promotions can include flash sales, holiday sales, and instructor discounts.
As highlighted in this Udemy review, Udemy offers flexible pricing options that make learning accessible and affordable for everyone. With free and paid courses available, users can choose the option that best fits their budget and learning needs.
Pros and Cons of Udemy
Udemy offers a wide variety of courses at different prices with variable learning options. However, the quality of courses can vary significantly, and there is no formal accreditation or recognition. In addition, while the platform offers lifetime access to course materials, there is limited instructor interaction and feedback.
Udemy is an excellent resource for individuals seeking to learn new skills or enhance their existing knowledge. Still, it may not be the best option for those seeking formal accreditation or job placement services.
Given all this in view, we have analyzed the pros and cons of Udemy as an online learning platform. Let’s look at them further as an essential part of this Udemy review.
|Wide range of courses available on various topics||The quality of courses can vary significantly|
|Courses are self-paced and accessible from anywhere||No formal accreditation or recognition|
|Course fees are generally affordable||Instructors have complete control over course content and pricing|
|Offers both free and paid courses||No guarantee of course quality or effectiveness|
|Offers Udemy Pro subscription with exclusive content and personalized recommendations||Limited interaction and feedback from instructors|
|Easy-to-use platform with a user-friendly interface||Some courses may be outdated or irrelevant|
|Lifetime access to course content once purchased||No access to course materials after refund|
|Frequently offers discounts and promotions on courses||No offline access to courses|
|Offers certificates of completion for paid courses||Course recognition by employers is subjective|
Most Popular Courses on Udemy in Detail (Pricing and Descriptions)
In any online learning platform’s review, it is critical to cover the popular courses. For this Udemy review, we shall do the same.Let us now look at some of the most popular courses that are offered on Udemy.
These courses are not only top-rated on the platform but are also popular in other e-learning circles amongst prospective students and professionals.
Overall, these courses cover a wide range of topics and offer comprehensive content at an affordable price. Each course includes hours of video lectures, downloadable resources, and quizzes to test your knowledge.
These courses are suitable for beginners and intermediate learners and are an excellent resource for those seeking to learn new skills or advance their careers.
- The Complete Web Developer Course 2.0
- The Complete Digital Marketing Course
- The Complete Financial Analyst Course
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect
- The Complete Ethical Hacking Course
Before we look at these in detail, IOL also has listed and analyzed the best web development bootcamps as well as the best digital marketing courses. So do check them out before making a final decision after reading this Udemy review.
- The Complete Digital Marketing Course by Daragh Walsh – This detailed online course includes all aspects of digital marketing, including SEO, social media, email marketing, and more. It includes over 20 hours of content and is designed for beginners and intermediate marketers. The course is priced at $199.99 but is often on sale for less.
- The Complete Financial Analyst Course by 365 Careers – This course teaches students the skills necessary to become a financial analyst, including financial modeling, valuation, and analysis. It includes over 17 hours of content and is suitable for beginners and intermediate learners. The course is priced at $194.99 but is often on sale for less.
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate 2021 by Ryan Kroonenburg – This course is designed to prepare students for the AWS Certified Solutions Architect exam. It covers various topics related to AWS, including EC2, S3, and VPC. The course includes over 27 hours of content and is priced at $179.99, but it is often on sale for less.
- The Complete Ethical Hacking Course: Beginner to Advanced by Ermin Kreponic – This ethical hacking course covers all aspects of ethical hacking, including network scanning, web testing, and social engineering. It includes over 24 hours of content and is suitable for beginners and experienced hackers. The course is priced at $199.99 but is often on sale for less.
10 Best Udemy Instructor’s Bio and Courses
It is said that two significant factors know an eLearning platform, one is its course content, and the second, which is more pivotal, is its instructors and their profile. We have taken the same approach in this Udemy review. Let us explore the 10 best Udemy instructors’ profiles and their best course offerings.
- Rob Percival – Rob is a self-taught programmer who has been teaching web development for over 10 years. He created some of Udemy’s most popular courses, including “The Complete Web Developer Course 2.0” and “iOS 9 and Swift 2: From Beginner to Paid Professional.”
- Colt Steele – Colt is a former bootcamp instructor who teaches web development full-time on Udemy. His courses, such as “The Web Developer Bootcamp” and “Advanced Web Developer Bootcamp,” have helped thousands of students learn to code.
- Jose Portilla – Jose is a data scientist who teaches Python programming and data analysis on Udemy. His courses, including “Python for Data Science and Machine Learning Bootcamp” and “Complete SQL + Databases Bootcamp,” have been taken by over 1 million students.
- Angela Yu – Angela is a former iOS developer who now teaches programming on Udemy. Her courses, such as “The Complete iOS App Development Bootcamp” and “The Complete Android N Developer Course,” have helped thousands of students learn to code for mobile devices.
- Maximilian Schwarzmüller – Maximilian is a full-stack developer who teaches web development on Udemy. His courses, such as “Angular – The Complete Guide” and “NodeJS – The Complete Guide,” have been taken by over 500,000 students.
- Stephen Grider – Stephen is a software engineer who teaches web development and data science on Udemy. His courses, such as “Modern React with Redux” and “The Complete Developers Guide to MongoDB,” have helped thousands of students learn new skills.
- Andrew Mead – Andrew is a full-stack developer who teaches web development and programming on Udemy. His courses, such as “The Complete Node.js Developer Course” and “The Complete React Developer Course,” have been taken by over 400,000 students.
- John Purcell – John is a former software developer who teaches programming on Udemy. His courses, such as “Java Tutorial for Complete Beginners” and “C++ Tutorial for Complete Beginners,” have helped thousands of students learn to code.
- 365 Careers – 365 Careers is a team of data scientists and finance professionals who teach business and finance courses on Udemy. Their courses, such as “The Complete Analyst Course” and “Tableau 2020 A-Z: Hands-On Tableau Training for Data Science,” have been taken by over 500,000 students.
- Phil Ebiner – Phil has a background in editing and video production. He has over 180 courses on Udemy. “Adobe Premiere Pro CC Masterclass: Video Editing in Premiere” and “Photography Masterclass: A Complete Guide to Photography” are his best-seller courses on the platform, with nearly 0.8 million students enrolled in these two courses combined.
6 Steps to Open an Account on Udemy
Moving on in this Udemy review, now, let us look at the different steps that are involved in registering on Udemy. These steps are essential as they are your access to an online learning portal like no other.
- Go to the Udemy homepage at www.udemy.com
- Click on the “Sign up” button on the top right corner of the page/screen.
- Choose your preferred sign-up method. You can sign up using your email address and create a password for your Facebook or Google account.
- If you choose to sign up using your email address, enter your name and email address, and create a password. Click on the “Sign up” button to proceed.
- If you sign up using your Facebook or Google account, click the corresponding button and enter your login credentials when prompted.
- Once you have successfully signed up, you will be taken to the Udemy homepage, where you can start exploring courses.
That’s it! Once you are done with these steps, you are ready to start browsing and enrolling in courses on Udemy.
9 Tips to Find the Perfect Udemy Course
One of the most common questions that we receive at IOL, apart from the different challenges of online learning, is how to find the right online course learning platform and we shall answer the same in this Udemy review
Thus, we present the following tips and suggestions to help you discover the perfect match for your skill needs in the form of an online learning course on Udemy.
- Identify your learning goals: Before you start browsing courses, take some time to identify what you want to learn and why. Having clear learning goals will help you narrow your search and find courses relevant to your needs.
- Read course descriptions carefully: When you find a course that looks interesting, take the time to read the course description in detail. Look for information on course objectives, target audience, and prerequisites.
- Check the course reviews: Reviews from past students can be a valuable source of information about the quality of a course. Look for courses with high ratings and positive reviews.
- Preview course content: Many courses on Udemy offer free preview videos or sample lessons. Take advantage of these resources to understand the course content and teaching style.
- Look for courses with interactive elements: Courses incorporating quizzes, assignments, and other interactive elements can be more engaging and help reinforce your learning.
- Consider the instructor’s qualifications: Look at the instructor’s bio and credentials to ensure they have the necessary expertise and experience to teach the course.
- Look for courses with lifetime access: Some courses on Udemy offer lifetime access, which means you can continue to access course materials and updates even after completing the course.
- Check for course discounts: Udemy frequently offers course discounts and promotions. Watch for these deals to save money on your course purchases.
- Take advantage of Udemy’s refund policy: If you are unsatisfied with a course, Udemy offers a 30-day refund policy. Don’t be afraid to take advantage of this policy if a course doesn’t meet your expectations.
How Does Udemy Help with Career?
One of the major selling points of Udemy is that it helps you with your career. It doesn’t matter whether you are transitioning to another industry or looking to add to your profile; Udemy will definitely have the answer for you.
Not only that, but Udemy also helps individuals in staying competitive in their careers by providing flexible, affordable access to a wide range of courses and learning opportunities.
Udemy can be a valuable resource for individuals looking to enhance their career prospects in several ways:
- Up-skilling and Re-skilling: Udemy offers various courses on various topics, including technical and non-technical courses, which can help individuals learn new skills or enhance existing ones. This can be particularly useful for individuals looking to change careers or keep their skills up-to-date in a rapidly changing job market.
- Career Advancement: Courses on Udemy can also help individuals advance in their careers by learning new skills. Individuals can become more valuable to their employers, increasing their chances of promotion or advancement.
- Certifications: Many courses on Udemy offer certifications upon completion. These certifications can be added to a resume or LinkedIn profile, helping individuals stand out to potential employers.
- Networking: Udemy also offers opportunities for networking with other professionals in the same field. Discussion forums and other collaborative tools can help individuals connect with others and build professional relationships.
- Flexibility: Udemy’s courses are self-paced and can be completed from anywhere, making it a great option for individuals with busy schedules or those looking to balance work and learning.
Udemy Refund Policy
It is important that, as part of this detailed Udemy review, we cover its refund policy. Udemy offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on most courses. If a user is unsatisfied with a course and requests a refund within 30 days of purchase, Udemy will refund the total purchase price of the course.
There are a few exceptions to this refund policy, however. For example, courses purchased with a Udemy coupon code or during a sale may have different refund policies. Additionally, courses that have been completed or downloaded may not be eligible for a refund.
To request a refund, users can navigate to the course dashboard, click on the “…” icon, and select “Request a refund.” Users will then be prompted to provide a reason for the refund request, and Udemy will review the request and issue a refund if it meets the eligibility criteria.
It’s important to note that Udemy’s refund policy may vary depending on the course and the instructor, so users should review the refund policy for each course before purchasing. Additionally, if a user has any issues or concerns with a course, it’s often best to contact the instructor first to see if the issue can be resolved before requesting a refund.
What Do Others Say About Udemy?
Let us now look at what the general perception of Udemy is amongst the target audience. We shall cover both sides of the coin and thus have included positive as well as negative reviews in an overall combined form.
Positive Reviews: Many users praise Udemy for its vast library of courses, affordability, and ease of use. Users appreciate the variety of courses available and the ability to learn at their own pace.
Many also value the affordability of Udemy courses, particularly compared to traditional education options. Additionally, many users find the platform easy to navigate and appreciate the features like closed captions and mobile apps.
Negative Reviews: Some users have expressed dissatisfaction with the quality of courses on Udemy, particularly with courses that experienced instructors do not teach. Additionally, some users have reported technical issues with the platform, such as videos not loading correctly. Others have expressed frustration with Udemy’s refund policy, which can be challenging to navigate in certain situations.
We hope that through this Udemy reviews guide, you were not only able to analyze your current knowledge about this online learning platform, but we are also able to factor in new information about Udemy in your decision-making process.
We hope that Udemy’s numerous courses on abundant subjects are something that you will value, along with how users have given it favorable feedback, with many applauding the platform for its accessibility, adaptability, and selection of courses.
However, some customers have criticized Udemy for the uneven quality of its courses and the dearth of learning help and direction, a factor that we must acknowledge as well.
Therefore, if you are looking forward to upskilling your current portfolio and learning something new, we recommend Udemy, but after you have matched its features with your needs, we can conclude that this is the right platform for your learning requirements.
We wish you the best of luck in your online learning journey! And hope that the blogs at IOL help you find the right platform and the right course to help kickstart your online education!